Salted Chocolate Avocado Pie & Hazelnut Crust
This yummy chocolate avocado pie has a silky texture with a big chocolate flavour. Make sure you blend it until it is nice and smooth. You don’t want chucks of avocado in your pie! Blend, blend…blend.
You will need:
- 2 cups of hazelnuts (or nut of choice)
- pinch of himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup dates, chopped
- 2 ¼ cups of firm-ripe avocado, about 4 large or 5 small
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 cup raw organic cacao powder
- 1 cup maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
Lets make it:
For the crust:
- Put the nuts, salt and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor and blend for about 10 seconds. Add the dates and blend until crumbly and moist. The crust should easily press together between your fingers without feeling too dry. If it feels too crumby, process a little longer and check again. Press the crust into a pie plate and chill it in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
For the filling:
- Wipe out the bowl of the food processor and return it to the base.
- Blend the avocados, vanilla and salt until really smooth, scraping down the bowl from time to time, about a minute.
- Add the cacao + syrup and blend again until combined, scraping down the bowl once or twice.
- Add the coconut oil through and blend until fully incorporated.
- Scrape the filling into the prepared pie plate and smooth out the top.
- Chill for at least one hour. This pie is great when made a day in advance. It can be kept in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap for up to 3 days.