Rainbow Rolls w/Spicy Dipping Sauce
Rainbow Rolls are a great affordable quick fresh and tasty gluten free alternative. They are perfect for transforming leftover chopped veggies and dinner salads into a pre-made lunch for a week of work. You could even try a sweet version with fresh fruits, and for the dip try a nut butter with honey or maple syrup.
You will need:
12 rice paper sheets
Pick any salad or veggie options adding up to around 6 cups, some ideas could be:
- Red: Sliced red capsicum, finely chopped chilli, tomato, radish or pomegranate
- Orange: Sliced orange capsicum, grated carrot, roast pumpkin or papaya
- Yellow: Mango chunks, peach slices, sliced yellow capsicum, pineapple
- Green: Lettuce, cabbage, avocado, bokchoy, rocket, baby spinach, snow pea sprouts, spring onion or alfalfa
- Purple: Grated fresh beetroot, purple cabbage, purple carrots, beans or purple lettuce varieties such as radicchio
- Protein: Shredded chicken, beef or baked/grilled salmon, prawns, sliced omelette, marinated tofu, tempeh, legumes, tahini, or nut butters
- Herbs: Mint, coriander, chives, parsley, vietnamese mint or thai basil
3 tbls nut butter or tahini
1 tsp extra virgin olive or coconut oil
2 tbsp tamari
1 tsp honey, coconut or maple syrup
1 tsp finely sliced chilli
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ tsp or ½ clove grated garlic
Juice ½ lime or lemon
Lets make it.
- Place a shallow dish of lukewarm water that will fit your rice paper, a clean, damp tea towel, the filling ingredients and a plate or platter for the finished product.
- Place the rice paper sheet in the lukewarm water for a few seconds, remove, then place on the damp tea towel. Don’t let the rice paper soak as it will continue to soften as you work.
- Place a little of each ingredient of the filling you have chosen, being mindful that there will be some of each item all the way along the roll, so there is a rainbow in each bite. Tip: Place the filling on the rice paper roll slightly off centre, leaving room for the ends to be tucked in. Don’t over stuff as the rice paper could tear, or not seal your filling.
- To complete the rice paper roll, pull the bottom flap up to cover the filling, then pull the two side in towards the centre. The completely roll the rest of the way to seal.
Place all ingredients in a small container or jar and shake or stir to combine.
Makes approx 12 Rolls.